Carreira History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Portuguese surname Carreira is of toponymic origin, as it is derived from the place where the original bearer lived or held land. The surname Carreira is derived from the Galician/Portuguese word "Carreiro" which means "a driver of cars or carts."
Early Origins of the Carreira family
The surname Carreira was first found in the region of the Iberian peninsula located along the Galician Portugal border.
Important Dates for the Carreira family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Carreira research. Another 79 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1785, 1824, 1828, 1871, and 1877 are included under the topic Early Carreira History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Carreira Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Carreiros, Carreira, Carreiras and others.
Early Notables of the Carreira family (pre 1700)
Prominent members of the family include the Portuguese diplomat, Luis Antonio D'Abreu e Lima, who was granted the title of Count of Carreira, was born in Vienna in 1785, and died in Lisbon...
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Carreira Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Carreira migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Carreira Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Carreira Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Silvestre Carreira, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1858 
- Marcelo Carreira, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1860 
- Manuel Soares Carreira, aged 9, who settled in America, in 1896
Carreira Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mannuel Carreira, aged 4, who landed in America from St. Michaels, in 1906
- Constantino Carreira, aged 18, who landed in America from Frances, Spain, in 1910
- Francisco Carreira, aged 16, who immigrated to America from Catheta Madeira, in 1910
- Antonio Y Goncalves Carreira, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States from Montalegre, Portugal, in 1915
- Joao Carreira, aged 27, who landed in America from Torres Novas, Portugal, in 1915
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Carreira (post 1700)
- Henrique Medina Carreira (1930-2017), Portuguese jurist and politician, Minister of Finance (1976-1978)
- Joaquim Justino Carreira (1950-2013), Portuguese-born, Roman Catholic bishop
- General Henrique "Iko" Teles Carreira (1933-2000), the first Defense Minister of Angola from 1975 to 1980
- Hugo Miguel Martins Carreira (b. 1979), Portuguese footballer
- José Machado Carreira, Portuguese painter
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)