Early Origins of the Caraffi family
The surname Caraffi was first found in Naples, (Italian: Napoli, Latin: Neapolis) former capital of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies in southern Italy; it is the chief city of the province of Naples. It shares with Instanbul the claim to be the most beautiful city in Europe. Naples has 237 Churches and 57 Chapels. The National Museum and other galleries contain riches in art and artifacts. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Caraffi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caraffi research.Another 120 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1480, 1581, 1655, 1430, 1511, 1476, 1559, 1555, 1561, 1538, 1591, 1540, 1565, 1564, 1633, 1585, 1649, 1615, 1690, 1680, 1690, 1677 and 1755 are included under the topic Early Caraffi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Caraffi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Caraffa, Caraffi, Caraffia, Carafi, Caraffas, Carafas, Caraffani and many more.
Early Notables of the Caraffi family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon
. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian
emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated... Another 188 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Caraffi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Caraffi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Thomas Carabine, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816; Catherine Carabine, who settled in New York, NY in 1816; Edward Carabine, who came to St. John, N.B. in 1834.