Callegari History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Venice emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Callegari. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local surnames are also found. Local names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Callegari family lived in Bologna, where Grazia Calegari was one of 10 members elected to the provisional government in 1394.
Early Origins of the Callegari family
The surname Callegari was first found in Bolgna (Latin: Bononia), the largest city and the capital of Emilia-Romagna Region.
Early History of the Callegari family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Callegari research. More information is included under the topic Early Callegari History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Callegari Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of Callegari include Callegari, Callegaro, Callegaris, Calegari, Calegaris, Calligari, Calligaro, Caligari, Caligaris, Calleghèr, Callighèr, Galligari, Galligài, Calgari, Calgaro, Calliari, Calliàri, Caliari, Caliàri, Cagliari, Cagliàri, Callieri, Callièri, Calieri, Calièri, Caliero, Calièro, Calleri, Callèri, Caleri, Calèri, Caglieri, Caglièri, Cagliero, Caglièro, Caglieris, Caglièris, Callegarini, Callegarìn, Cagliarotti, Cagliartti, Callierotti, Calliertti, Caglierotti and many more.
Early Notables of the Callegari family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Francesco Antonio Calegari, a philosopher and singer in 1656; Antonio Callegari of Brescia, a famous sculptor, and produced three children, Luca, Giuseppe, and Santo, all of whom followed their father's trade; their works can be seen in Brescia today; Antonio Calegari, a sculptor in Bologna in 1744; Giovanni Calegari (born 1753), an architect in Bologna; Giovanni Battista Callegari was born in Parma in 1785 and became...
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Callegari Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Callegari migration to the United States +
Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Callegari or a variant listed above:
Callegari Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Callegari, aged 37, who settled in America from Alessandria, Italy, in 1906
- Adolfo Callegari, aged 2, who landed in America from Prascorsano, Italy, in 1908
- Cesire Callegari, aged 3, who settled in America from Prascorsano, Italy, in 1908
- Alessio Callegari, aged 35, who landed in America from Lusiana, Italy, in 1910
- Albina Callegari, aged 20, who settled in America from Albareto, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Callegari (post 1700) +
- Anna Callegari, American actress and producer, known for P-P-P-Paul Ryan (2012), Fear Town, USA (2015) and The Slashening (2015)
- William Anthony "Bill" Callegari Sr. (1941-2001), American businessman, civil engineer and politician, Texas State Representative from District 132 (2001-2003)
- Giuseppe Callegari (1841-1906), Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, Bishop of Padua from 1882 until his death
- Gino Ferrer Callegari (1911-1954), Italian professional football player and coach, active from 1930 to 1946
Related Stories +