Caligiuri History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Caligiuri comes from the Greek words "kalos" meaning "beautiful" and "gheros" meaning "elderly," and was often given to children in the hopes that they would retain their beauty in their old age.
Early Origins of the Caligiuri family
The surname Caligiuri was first found in the province of Calabria, at the southern tip of mainland Italy. Though not on the island of Sicily, this province was a part of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, an area that shares much of the culture and heritage of the island of Sicily. Eventually, the name expanded to the north of Italy, replacing the southern suffix "o" with the northern "i." The name originated as a personal name. The name comes from the Greek words "kalos" meaning "beautiful" and "gheros" meaning "elderly" and was often given to children in the hopes that they would retain their beauty in their old age.
Early History of the Caligiuri family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caligiuri research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Caligiuri History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Caligiuri Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Calogero, Calogiuri, Caligiuri, Caloiero, Calogera and many more.
Early Notables of the Caligiuri family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Caligiuri Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Caligiuri migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Caligiuri Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bruno Caligiuri, aged 37, who settled in America from Petrona, Italy, in 1910
- Antonio Caligiuri, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States from Miglierina, Italy, in 1911
- Filomena Caligiuri, aged 46, who immigrated to the United States from Carfizzi, Italy, in 1911
- Agostino Caligiuri, aged 27, who immigrated to America from Lovcsia, Italy, in 1913
- Domenico Caligiuri, aged 24, who settled in America from Cortale, Italy, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Caligiuri (post 1700) ||+|
- Frederick John "Fred" Caligiuri (1918-2018), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Philadelphia Athletics (1941-1942); he lived to be 100 years old
- Sam S. F. Caligiuri (b. 1966), American awyer and former Connecticut State Senator
- Paul David Caligiuri (b. 1964), retired American soccer player
- Sam S. F. Caligiuri, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State Senate 16th District; Elected 2008 
- Richard Edward Caligiuri, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1996 
- Michael P. Caligiuri, Italian psychophysiologist, eponym of 42365 Caligiuri, a main belt asteroid
- Alan Caligiuri (b. 1981), Italian radio host and writer for Italian television
- Marco Caligiuri (b. 1984), German footballer
- Daniel Caligiuri (b. 1988), German footballer