Cali History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Although it has long been an Italian name, the ultimate origins of the Cali name are Greek, coming from the Greek word "cali" meaning "beautiful." The name was most likely taken on a surname quite arbitrarily, though perhaps the first bearer was a man of exceptional beauty.
Early Origins of the Cali family
The surname Cali was first found in Sicily (Italian: Sicilia), the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, and the southern parts of mainland Italy. In later years, a few branches of the family spread to northern Italy, adopting the naming conventions there and changing their name to end in "i." Most of the family remained in the south, however, and kept the southern suffix "o." The name is of Greek origin, which explains its predominance in the south, closer to Greece. Coming from the Greek word "cali" meaning "beautiful" the name was probably purely ornamental, though perhaps it was given because the first bearer was a man of exceptional beauty.
Important Dates for the Cali family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cali research. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1272 and 1613 are included under the topic Early Cali History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cali Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Calo, Cali, Cala, Cale, Calio and others.
Early Notables of the Cali family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cali Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cali migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Cali Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Cali Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Matteo Cali, who arrived in New York city in 1891 on board the SS Anglia
Cali Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frances Cali, who was recorded in Louisiana in the 1910 U.S. Census
- John Michael Cali, who was naturalized in New York in 1914
- James Cali, who arrived in New York state between the years 1884-1915
Contemporary Notables of the name Cali (post 1700)
- Joeseph "Joe" Cali (b. 1960), American author, travel writer and travel agent
- Joseph Cali (b. 1950), American actor
- Carmen Salvatore Cali (b. 1978), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Lucille Cali, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1956 
- John F. Cali, American Democrat politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly 30th District; Elected 1975 
- Gaetano Emanuel Calì (1885-1936), Italian composer, orchestra conductor, and bandleader
- Vincenza Calì (b. 1983), Italian track and field sprint athlete
- Giulio Calì (1895-1967), Italian film actor
- Giuseppe Calì (b. 1952), Italian golfer
- Francesco Calì (1882-1949), Swiss and later Italian professional football player and coach
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 16) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html