100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins the old family name Caballero can be found within medieval Spain
. While the patronymic
and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of a hereditary surname in Spain
surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Many people, such as the Caballero family, adopted the name of their occupation
as their surname. The surname Caballero was an occupational name for a knight or a knight's servant.
The surname Caballero was first found in Castile
, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Caballero, Caballeros, Caballer, Caballé, Caballe, Caballería, Caballeria, Caballo, Caballos, de Caballos, Cavallo, Cavallos, de Cavallos, Cavallón, Cavallon, de Cavallón, de Cavallon, Cavallero, Cavallería and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caballero research. Another 189 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1176, 1656, 1704, 1697, 1703, 1645, 1697, 1670 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Caballero History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 179 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Caballero Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Alonso Caballero sailed to America in 1517 with his brother Diego
- Juan Caballero sailed to New Spain in 1534
- Cristóbal Caballero sailed to America in 1538
- Francisco Caballero sailed to Peru in 1553 with his wife
- Antón Caballero sailed to Peru in 1592
Caballero Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Marcos Caballero, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816
- Alonso Caballero, who landed in America in 1817
- L Caballero, aged 22, landed in New Orleans, La in 1823
- Jose Caballero, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Mani Caballero, aged 30, landed in New Orleans, La in 1830
- Manuel Caballero, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Colonia, 1897
- Lydia Caballero, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 2004
- Jose Caballero, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Washington, 1996
- Anna M. Caballero, American Democrat politician, Mayor of Salinas, California, 2003-04; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008
- Steve Caballero (b. 1964), American professional skateboarder
- Raymond Caballero (b. 1942), American politician, mayor of El Paso, Texas (2001-2003)
- Fernán Caballero (1797-1877), Spanish novelist
- Jorge Samuel Caballero (b. 1974), Honduran footballer
- Celestino "Pelenchin" Caballero (b. 1976), Panamanian professional boxer
- Bernardion Caballero Melgarejo (1839-1912), President of Paraguay from 1881 until 1886
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
The Caballero Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Caballero Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 April 2016 at 06:02.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!