Burpee History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Burpee, evoke images of the ancient province of Bourbonnais, which was the most central of all the French Provinces. The original bearer of the name Burpee, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of France. In France, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Burpee family originally lived in a village in Bourbonnais, where early members of this lineage settled in the foothills of the region.
Early Origins of the Burpee family
The surname Burpee was first found in Bourbonnais, a historic province in the centre of France, now part of the modern département of Allier and Cher.
Important Dates for the Burpee family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burpee research. More information is included under the topic Early Burpee History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burpee Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bourbeau, Bourbe, Bourbier, Bourbault, Bourbel, Burpeaux, Burpee and many more.
Early Notables of the Burpee family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name in this period was Louis-Olivier Bourbeau, a man of politics who lived during the nineteenth century. Born in Poitiers, he studied law and received his doctorate in 1834. He then entered the faculty of law in Poitiers in September 1840 as a supply professor, and the following year obtained the rostrum of civil procedure and criminal legislation. In 1847 he became mayor of Poitiers and was elected constitutional...
Another 72 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burpee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Burpee family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Marie Bourbeau, who lived in Rageot, Quebec, in 1677; Adrienne Bourbault was married in Charlesbourg in 1694.
Contemporary Notables of the name Burpee (post 1700)
- Washington Atlee Burpee (1858-1915), American founder of the W. Atlee Burpee & Company in 1876, now known as Burpee Seeds
- Brigadier-General Clarence Lemar Burpee (1894-1956), American Assistant Chief of Transportation Military Railways Division European Theater of Operations (1944-1945) 
- William A. Burpee, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Rocky Hill, 1946; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Connecticut, 1948 
- Samuel J. Burpee (b. 1837), American politician, Mayor of Marshall, Michigan, 1873-74 
- Lawrence Johnstone Burpee FRSC (1873-1946), Canadian librarian, historian and author from Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Charles Burpee (1817-1909), Canadian farmer and politician who represented Sunbury in the Canadian House of Commons from 1867 to 1887
- Isaac Burpee PC (1825-1885), Canadian merchant, entrepreneur, and politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament for City and County of St. John, New Brunswick (1872-1885)
- Burpee L. Steeves, American politician, Lieutenant Governor of Idaho (1905 to 1907)
- Burpee L. Steeves, American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Idaho, 1905-07 
You May Also Like
- ^ Generals of World War II. (Retrieved 2011, November 3) Clarence Burpee. Retrieved from http://generals.dk/general/Burpee/Clarence_Lemar/USA.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 25) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html