100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Burmeister family come from? What is the German Burmeister family crest and coat of arms? When did the Burmeister family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Burmeister family history?The history of the Burmeister family begins almost a millennium ago, in the northern German region of Schleswig-Holstein, where the family name first emerged. The name Burmeister is derived from the German words "bur" or "bauer," meaning "farmer," and "meister," meaning "master;" thus, the name literally means "master farmer." Alternatively, the Low German term "Burmester" refers to the town elder who held the position just below that of the mayor. From this source, the original bearer of the name Burmeister was likely the master of an estate or a prominent figure in his village.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Burmeister, Burmester, Burenmeister, Burmaster, Burenmester, Burenmeister, Boermeester, Buhrmeister and many more.
First found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the surname was first recorded. The earliest known bearer was Godeke Burmeister, who lived in the city of Rostock in 1265.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burmeister research. Another 127 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1334, 1400, 1608, 1675, 1681, and 1714 are included under the topic Early Burmeister History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 33 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burmeister Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burmeister Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Gottfried Burmeister, aged 34, landed in America in 1843
- Friedrich Burmeister, who arrived in New York in 1850
- Leopold Burmeister, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1850
- John Burmeister, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Fritz Burmeister, who landed in Iroquois County, Illinois in 1888
Burmeister Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joachim Burmeister, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
Burmeister Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Heinrich Wilhelm Burmeister, aged 30, a coachman, arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Pauline"
- Daniel "Danny" Burmeister (b. 1963), American NFL football player
- Eileen Burmeister (b. 1924), American professional baseball player
- Ken Burmeister (b. 1947), American basketball coach
- Paul Burmeister (b. 1971), NFL Network analyst, former AFL quarterback
- Fritz Burmeister (b. 1888), German politician
- Karl Hermann Konrad Burmeister (1807-1892), German zoologist and entomologist, eponym of Burmeister's porpoise
- Arnold Burmeister (1899-1988), German Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Friedrich Burmeister (1890-1969), German geophysicist
- Jana Burmeister (b. 1989), German association football goalkeeper
- Ernst Theodor Wilhelm Burmeister (b. 1913), well-known chemist
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
The Burmeister Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burmeister Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 January 2014 at 12:26.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!