on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Burmeister family come from? What is the German Burmeister family crest and coat of arms? When did the Burmeister family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Burmeister family history?The history of the Burmeister family begins almost a millennium ago, in the northern German region of Schleswig-Holstein, where the family name first emerged. The name Burmeister is derived from the German words "bur" or "bauer," meaning "farmer," and "meister," meaning "master;" thus, the name literally means "master farmer." Alternatively, the Low German term "Burmester" refers to the town elder who held the position just below that of the mayor. From this source, the original bearer of the name Burmeister was likely the master of an estate or a prominent figure in his village.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Burmeister, Burmester, Burenmeister, Burmaster, Burenmester, Burenmeister, Boermeester, Buhrmeister and many more.
First found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the surname was first recorded. The earliest known bearer was Godeke Burmeister, who lived in the city of Rostock in 1265.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burmeister research. Another 127 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1334, 1400, 1608, 1675, 1681, and 1714 are included under the topic Early Burmeister History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 33 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burmeister Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burmeister Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Gottfried Burmeister, aged 34, landed in America in 1843
- Friedrich Burmeister, who arrived in New York in 1850
- Leopold Burmeister, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1850
- John Burmeister, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Fritz Burmeister, who landed in Iroquois County, Illinois in 1888
Burmeister Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joachim Burmeister, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
Burmeister Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Heinrich Wilhelm Burmeister, aged 30, a coachman, arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Pauline"
- Daniel "Danny" Burmeister (b. 1963), American NFL football player
- Eileen Burmeister (b. 1924), American professional baseball player
- Ken Burmeister (b. 1947), American basketball coach
- Paul Burmeister (b. 1971), NFL Network analyst, former AFL quarterback
- Fritz Burmeister (b. 1888), German politician
- Karl Hermann Konrad Burmeister (1807-1892), German zoologist and entomologist, eponym of Burmeister's porpoise
- Arnold Burmeister (1899-1988), German Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Friedrich Burmeister (1890-1969), German geophysicist
- Jana Burmeister (b. 1989), German association football goalkeeper
- Ernst Theodor Wilhelm Burmeister (b. 1913), well-known chemist
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
The Burmeister Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burmeister Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 January 2014 at 12:26.
on orders of $85 or more