Burkhardt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Burkhardt family
The surname Burkhardt was first found in Swabia, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and would become noted for its involvement in social, economic, and political affairs.
Saint Burchard (d. 754), was the first bishop of Würzburg and it believed to have been from a noble English family, "but beyond this fact there is nothing authentic known respecting his origin. He was one of the most active associates of his countryman, St. Boniface, Archbishop of Mayence. In the autumn of 741 he was consecrated bishop of Würzburg by Boniface, who at the same time established two other bishoprics, Buraburg and Eichstädt, to which he appointed his friends Witta and Willibald. " 
Early History of the Burkhardt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burkhardt research. Another 125 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1450, 1506 and 1655 are included under the topic Early Burkhardt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burkhardt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Burkhard, Burkhardt, Burckhard, Burckhardt, Burkhart and many more.
Early Notables of the Burkhardt family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Burkhardt during this period were Johann Burchard, also spelled Johannes Burchart (c.1450 - 1506), an Alsatian-born priest and chronicler during the Italian Renaissance; and...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burkhardt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Burkhardt is the 5,101st most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Burkhardt migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burkhardt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Burkhardt, who settled in New York in 1709
- Carolus Burkhardt, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1733
- Joh Daniel Burkhardt, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- Johannes Burkhardt, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- Nicholas Burkhardt, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1762 
Burkhardt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leop Burkhardt, who landed in North America in 1832-1849 
- Thomas Burkhardt, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839 
- Andreas Burkhardt, aged 36, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1848 
- Adam Burkhardt, aged 17, who arrived in New York, NY in 1849 
- Conrad Burkhardt, aged 23, who landed in New York, NY in 1849 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Burkhardt (post 1700) +
- Richard Wellington Burkhardt (1918-2014), American academic, President of Ball State University in 1978
- Robert James Burkhardt (1916-1999), American Democratic Party politician
- Hans Gustav Burkhardt (1904-1994), Swiss American abstract expressionist
- Brandi Lynn Burkhardt (b. 1979), American vocalist, actress and beauty queen
- Fritz Burkhardt (1920-2002), highly decorated German Oberleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II
- Heinrich Friedrich Karl Ludwig Burkhardt (1861-1914), German mathematician
- Thorsten Burkhardt (b. 1981), German football player
- Joseph Burkhardt (1873-1952), Swiss painter
- Filip Burkhardt (b. 1987), Polish footballer
- Marcin Burkhardt (b. 1983), Polish footballer
Historic Events for the Burkhardt family +
- Heinz Burkhardt (1919-1941), German Matrosenobergefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Burkhardt +
- Burkett/Burkhardt Family: Tales and Trails, 1649-1900 by Nina Deeter Ellis.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details