Buncle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Buncle family
The surname Buncle was first found in Berwickshire where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity seated at Buncle (now Bunkle and Preston) in the lands of the Merse.
"The name of this place is derived from the Celtic word bon, signifying the foot or base, and kill, a cell or chapel; the word Preston, if of Saxon origin, would signify Priest-town, or the town of the priests, but some derive it from the Gaelic term Preas, a thicket, and tun, a town or farm. The manor was formerly possessed by Sir Alexander de Bunkle or Bonkle, by whom it was transferred, in 1288, to Sir John Stewart, on his marriage with the only child of Sir Alexander." 
Adam de Bonekil was the first on record in the year 1160 as a witness to a charter by Richard Cumyn. 
Early History of the Buncle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Buncle research. Another 61 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1231 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Buncle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Buncle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Buncle, Bunkle, Bunkill, Bunkell, Bunckill, Bonkyll and many more.
Early Notables of the Buncle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Buncle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Buncle migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Buncle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Buncle, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- George Buncle, who settled in Savannah, Georgia in 1734
- Alexander Buncle, who settled in Virginia in 1739
- Alexander Buncle, who arrived in Virginia in 1739 
- Samuel Buncle, who arrived in Virginia in 1776 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Buncle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Buncle and his wife Jean Falconer Buncle who arrived in America in 1832
- James Buncle, who landed in America in 1832 
Contemporary Notables of the name Buncle (post 1700) +
- John Buncle (d. 1889), Australian (Scottish born) metal fabricator and local politician, twice chosen as mayor of the municipality of Hotham (North Melbourne)
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)