100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Bumgarner family come from? What is the German Bumgarner family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bumgarner family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bumgarner family history?The Bumgarner surname means orchard in German, and was probably originally occupational for someone who worked in an orchard, or topographical for someone who lived in or near an orchard. There are also several villages named for this word.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Baumgarner, Baumgarten, Baumgart, Paumgarten, Baumgartel, Paumgartel, Paumgart, Bomgarten, Baumgarden, Pomgarten, Pomgarden, Baumgartner, Paumgartner, Baumgarden, Bamgardner, Bogart, Bogaard, Bogaart and many more.
First found in East Prussia, where the name came from noble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status. They are believed to have been of the order of the Teutonic Knights.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bumgarner research. Another 249 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1712 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Bumgarner History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bumgarner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bumgarner Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christ Bumgarner, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Christopher Bumgarner, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Ursley Bumgarner, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Peter Bumgarner, who landed in North Carolina in 1748
Bumgarner Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edgar Bumgarner, aged 19, who emigrated to Washington, in 1918
- Newton Bumgarner, aged 24, who settled in Millers Creek, NC., in 1918
- Pauline Bumgarner, aged 46, who emigrated to Baltimore, Maryland, in 1922
- Albert Bumgarner, aged 20, who settled in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1922
- Jack Edward Bumgarner (1926-2011), birth name of Jack Garner, American actor, brother of James Garner
- James Scott Bumgarner (b. 1928), birth name of James Garner, American Academy Award nominated actor, known for his roles in: Maverick, the 1950s western-comedy series; The Rockford Files; and many more
- "Aunt" Samantha Bumgarner (1878-1960), American acclaimed early country and folk music performer
- A.L. Bumgarner, American former NASCAR Grand National Series race car owner
- Colonel Michael Bumgarner (b. 1959), United States Armed Services officer, commander of the Joint Detention Group
- Madison K. Bumgarner (b. 1989), American left-handed pitcher for the San Francisco Giants
- Michele Marie Bumgarner (b. 1989), Filipina racing driver
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
The Bumgarner Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bumgarner Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 January 2015 at 13:55.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!