Bruggeman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bruggeman family
The surname Bruggeman was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. Translated literally, the name means "bridge-man," and referred to the occupation of taking toll at bridges. The name was found most frequently in Frankfurt in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Early History of the Bruggeman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bruggeman research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1818, 1819, 1480, 1521, 1473, 1583, 1654 and 1819 are included under the topic Early Bruggeman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bruggeman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bruckmann, Bruckman, Bruchmann, Bruchman, Brukmann, Brueckmann, Brueckman, Bruechmann, Bruekmann, Bruegmann (northern Germany), Brueggemann (Westphalia), Bruckmayr (Bavaria), Bruckmayer (Bavaria) and many more.
Early Notables of the Bruggeman family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Bruggeman were Hans Brüggemann (ca. 1480-c. 1521), a German artist, best known for his large carved altarpiece in Schleswig Cathedral; John Brugman, O.F.M., (died 1473) a 15th-century Franciscan friar...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bruggeman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bruggeman World Ranking
In the United States, the name Bruggeman is the 10,799th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Bruggeman is ranked the 6,964th most popular surname with an estimated 1,000 - 1,500 people with that name.  And in Netherlands, the name Bruggeman is the 635th popular surname with an estimated 2,869 people with that name. 
| Bruggeman migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bruggeman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Caspar Bruggeman, aged 34, who arrived in Missouri in 1844 
- Grietje Bruggeman, who landed in Iowa in 1856 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Bruggeman (post 1700) ||+|
- Robert Bruggeman (b. 1986), American NFL football center
- Dan Bruggeman, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 19th District, 1966 
- Bob Bruggeman, American politician, Mayor of Texarkana, Texas, 2012- 
- Ashley Boggs Bruggeman, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 2008, 2012 
- Prospère Bruggeman (b. 1873), Belgian Olympic rower
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- "Most Common Last Names in Netherlands." Forebears, https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html