Brugeman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Brugeman family
The surname Brugeman was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. Translated literally, the name means "bridge-man," and referred to the occupation of taking toll at bridges. The name was found most frequently in Frankfurt in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Important Dates for the Brugeman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brugeman research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1818, 1819, 1480, 1521, 1473, 1583, 1654 and 1819 are included under the topic Early Brugeman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brugeman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bruckmann, Bruckman, Bruchmann, Bruchman, Brukmann, Brueckmann, Brueckman, Bruechmann, Bruekmann, Bruegmann (northern Germany), Brueggemann (Westphalia), Bruckmayr (Bavaria), Bruckmayer (Bavaria) and many more.
Early Notables of the Brugeman family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Brugeman were Hans Brüggemann (ca. 1480-c. 1521), a German artist, best known for his large carved altarpiece in Schleswig Cathedral; John Brugman, O.F.M., (died 1473) a 15th-century Franciscan friar...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brugeman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Brugeman family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Johann Valentin Bruckman, on record in Philadelphia in 1754; Jakob Bruckmann, a German mercenary on record in North America in 1783; George Bruckman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1807.