Brosius History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Brosius is a Czech derivation of the Latin given name "Ambrosius," meaning "immortal." The name owes its widespread popularity to the fame of St. Ambrose (340-397), and was common under many different forms as both a surname and a given name throughout Europe during the Middle Ages.
Early Origins of the Brosius family
The surname Brosius was first found in Bohemia, where the ancestral home of the family is thought to be located. The name first emerged there as a personal name, later becoming a hereditary surname during the Middle Ages. The young Brosius family played a major role in the early history of the region, and contributed greatly to the development of medieval society.
Important Dates for the Brosius family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brosius research. Another 66 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1749 and 1855 are included under the topic Early Brosius History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brosius Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Broz, Brozina, Brozek, Brosius, Brozin and others.
Early Notables of the Brosius family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Brosius Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brosius migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brosius Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georigh Brosius, aged 42, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1740 
- Johan Georg Brosius, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1740 
- Joh Abraham Brosius, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- Johannes Brosius, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- George Brosius, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1746-1747 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Brosius Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter William Brosius, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1852 
- Ludw Brosius, who landed in America in 1854 
- Jacob Brosius, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1855 
Contemporary Notables of the name Brosius (post 1700)
- W. L. Brosius, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Braxton County, 1909 
- Marriott Brosius (1843-1901), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 10th District, 1889-1901 
- Joseph P. Brosius, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate 13th District, 1884 
- John B. Brosius, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Morgan County, 1893-94 
- George K. Brosius, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 2nd District, 1947-52 
- Enos H. Brosius, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for U.S. Representative from Ohio 18th District, 1902 
- Craig A. Brosius, American Republican politician, Candidate for Florida State House of Representatives 44th District, 1978 
- Cal M. Brosius, American Republican politician, Member of Alaska territorial House of Representatives 3rd District, 1931-32 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html