Briley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The German surname Briley is derived from "Brill," the name of a town located in East Friesland. It was a common practice of the time to refer to a new resident of a city by the name of his hometown; thus, it is likely that the progenitor of the name Briley was a native of the town of Brill who had settled in another region.
Early Origins of the Briley family
The surname Briley was first found in East Friesland, where it emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. The earliest known bearer of the name was Joh. Priel, who was recorded as living in Ehingen in 1514.
Early History of the Briley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Briley research.Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1721, 1759, 1778, 1842, 1846, 1853, and 1855 are included under the topic Early Briley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Briley Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Brill, Brille, Brile, Bril, Bryll, Brylle, Bryle, Prill, Prille and many more.
Early Notables of the Briley family (pre 1700)
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Briley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Briley family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Briley Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Briley, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mary Briley, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
Briley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hannah Briley, aged 36, a housemaid, who arrived in Hawkes Bay aboard the ship "Queen of the North" in 1874
Contemporary Notables of the name Briley (post 1700)
- Gregory "Pee Wee" Briley (b. 1965), American former Major League Baseball player
- Clifton Beverly Briley (1914-1980), American politician, first mayor of Nashville and Davidson County
- John Richard Briley (b. 1925), American writer
- John Marshall Briley, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1960, 1964 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Les Briley (b. 1956), English former footballer
- Martin Briley (b. 1950), English singer-songwriter, guitarist and keyboardist
Briley Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html