Briers History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Briers family
The surname Briers was first found in Dumfriesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Dhùn Phris), a Southern area, bordering on England that today forms part of the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, where they held a family seat as one of the prominent Border Clans defending the Scottish border in the west marches. They are said to have the longest and most honorable connection with border life.
Early History of the Briers family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Briers research. Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1384, 1469, 1473, 1502, 1503, 1504, 1548, 1579, 1590, and 1630 are included under the topic Early Briers History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Briers Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacBriar, McBriar, MacBrair, McBrair, MacBraire, McBraire, MacBriare, McBriare, Briar, Brier, Brire, Briars, Briers, Brires, Braires, Brares, Braire, Brair, MacBrare, McBrare, Brare, MacBrar, McBrar, Brar, MacBrayr, McBrayr, MacBrayre, McBrayre, McBryar, MacBryar, MacBray, McBray, MacBrire, McBrire, MacBrier and many more.
Early Notables of the Briers family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Briers Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Briers migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Briers Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Briers, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Robert Briers, aged 21, who arrived in Virginia in 1635 
Briers Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Briers, who landed in New England in 1717 
- William Briers, who settled in Maryland in 1742
Briers Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Chris Briers, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1895
Briers Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lily Briers, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from St Helens, in 1906
- Elizabeth Briers, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States from England, in 1910
- James Briers, aged 9, who settled in America from England, in 1910
- Victor Briers, aged 18, who immigrated to America from England, in 1910
- Samuel Briers, aged 50, who landed in America from Birstall, Leicester, England, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Briers (post 1700) +
- Richard David Briers CBE (1934-2013), English actor, best known for his role as Tom Good in the BBC sitcom The Good Life (1975-78)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)