Early Origins of the Breytenbach family
The surname Breytenbach was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in the early period of history with the feudal
society which would become prominent throughout Europe. The name would later emerge as an influential noble family, having many distinguished branches, and well known for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Johan Jacob Breytenbach (died 1786), originally from Würzburg in the region of Franconia, northern Bavaria emigrated to South Africa where he married Gerbrecht Bezuidenhout in 1749. Together, they are considered the progenitors of the family throughout South Africa. One of their descendants, Niklaas Breytenbach founded the South African town of Breyten in Mpumalanga in the 19th century.
Early History of the Breytenbach family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Breytenbach research.Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1690, 1871, 1856 and 1837 are included under the topic Early Breytenbach History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Breytenbach Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Breidenberg, Breitenberg, Breittenberg, Breitenberge, Breidenbergs, Breidenbberg, Breitenbach, Breidenbach, Breidenstein, Breitenberger, Breitenbuck, von Riedt and many more.
Early Notables of the Breytenbach family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Breytenbach Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Breytenbach family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Lorens Breidenback, who came to Philadelphia in 1804.
Contemporary Notables of the name Breytenbach (post 1700)
- Joe Breytenbach (b. 1983), South African rugby union player who has played professionally since 2009
- Pierre Breytenbach, South African actor and comic
- Glynnis Breytenbach, South African politician, South African Shadow Minister of Justice (2014–)
- Jan Dirk Breytenbach DVR SD SM MMM (b. 1933), founder of the South African Special Forces Brigade
- Anna Breytenbach (b. 1968), South African interspecies communicator, animal activist, conservationist, and public speaker
- Breyten Breytenbach (b. 1939), South African writer and painter who is an avid apartheid opponent