on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German-Alt
The German name Brandis finds its roots in the word "brand," which means "sword." The best known of these compound name using this word is Hildebrand, or battle-sword; however, old Germanic names such as Brandhart, or fire-strong and Brandoalt, or fire-powerful, were also common in the Middle Ages.
The surname Brandis was first found in Saxony
, where the name Brand contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation through their participation in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. Over time, the Brand family branched into many houses where family members continued to play a significant role in the local
social and political affairs.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Brand, Brande, Brandde, Brannde, Brandt, Brandte, Brandtes, Brandtte, Brant, Brante, Brend, Brende, Brendde, Brent, Brendt, Braend, Braende, Braendde, Braennde, Braent, Braendt, Brandes, Brandis and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brandis research. Another 196 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1458, 1494, 1517, 1521, 1570, 1735, 1749, and 1799 are included under the topic Early Brandis History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brandis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brandis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carl Brandis, who arrived in Texas in 1845
- Herm Brandis, who landed in Texas in 1845
- Carl Brandis, who settled in Texas in 1846
- Theodore Brandis, who arrived in Texas in 1854
- L. Brandis arrived in San Francisco in 1875
Brandis Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Ann Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- James Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Harriett Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Richard W. Brandis, American politician, Mayor of Bend, Oregon, 1953-54
- Jonathan Gregory Brandis, American film and television actor
- George Brandis (b. 1957), Australian, Senator for Queensland, Minister for Arts and Sport
- Marianne Brandis (b. 1938), Canadian ( Netherlands born) Children's author and illustrator
- Mark Brandis (1931-2000), German science fiction writer and journalist
- Sir Dietrich Brandis (1824-1907), German forester considered the father of tropical forestry
- Christian August Brandis, German philologist and historian of philosophy
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Brandis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Brandis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 10:07.
on orders of $85 or more