100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German-Alt, German, Italian, Jewish
Where did the German Brandis family come from? What is the German Brandis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Brandis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Brandis family history?The German name Brandis finds its roots in the word "brand," which means "sword." The best known of these compound name using this word is Hildebrand, or battle-sword; however, old Germanic names such as Brandhart, or fire-strong and Brandoalt, or fire-powerful, were also common in the Middle Ages.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Brand, Brande, Brandde, Brannde, Brandt, Brandte, Brandtes, Brandtte, Brant, Brante, Brend, Brende, Brendde, Brent, Brendt, Braend, Braende, Braendde, Braennde, Braent, Braendt, Brandes, Brandis and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name Brand contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation through their participation in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. Over time, the Brand family branched into many houses where family members continued to play a significant role in the local social and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brandis research. Another 196 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1458, 1494, 1517, 1521, 1570, 1735, 1749, and 1799 are included under the topic Early Brandis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 50 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brandis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brandis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carl Brandis, who arrived in Texas in 1845
- Herm Brandis, who landed in Texas in 1845
- Carl Brandis, who settled in Texas in 1846
- Theodore Brandis, who arrived in Texas in 1854
- L. Brandis arrived in San Francisco in 1875
Brandis Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Ann Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- James Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Harriett Brandis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Eden" in 1838
- Jonathan Gregory Brandis, American film and television actor
- George Brandis (b. 1957), Australian, Senator for Queensland, Minister for Arts and Sport
- Marianne Brandis (b. 1938), Canadian ( Netherlands born) Children's author and illustrator
- Mark Brandis (1931-2000), German science fiction writer and journalist
- Sir Dietrich Brandis (1824-1907), German forester considered the father of tropical forestry
- Christian August Brandis, German philologist and historian of philosophy
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Brandis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Brandis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 February 2014 at 16:05.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!