Braga History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Braga comes from the place name Braga, which is the capital city of the district of Braga in Portugal. The place itself was named for the Bracari, the Celtic tribe who lived in the region. In Latin they were called the Bracaria, from the word "brachae," meaning trousers, leggings, or breeches.
Early Origins of the Braga family
The surname Braga was first found in the district of Braga, in Portugal.
Early History of the Braga family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Braga research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1829 is included under the topic Early Braga History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Braga Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Braga, Bragan, Bragas and others.
Early Notables of the Braga family (pre 1700)
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Braga Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Braga is the 14,395th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Braga migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Braga Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Rezende de Braga, who landed in New York in 1893
- Anna Braga, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States, in 1894
Braga Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Augusta Braga, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from St. Michaels, in 1901
- Anrieletta Braga, aged 8, who landed in America from Milano, in 1903
- Calento C. Braga, aged 34, who landed in America from Portugal, in 1907
- Engracia M. Braga, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Portugal, in 1907
- Carolina Braga, aged 40, who settled in America from Turbigo, Italy, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Braga (post 1700) +
- Marcia de Braga, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nevada, 2004 
- Theophilo Braga (1843-1924), Portuguese scholar and author, who briefly became president of the Portuguese republic (1910-1915) on King Manuel's enforced abdication
- Wilson Leite Braga (1931-2020), better known as simply Wilson Braga, a Brazilian politician, lawyer and businessman from the state of Paraíba
- Antonio Francisco Braga (1868-1945), Brazilian composer, conductor, and teacher
- Alice Braga, Brazilian actress
- Roberto Carlos Braga (b. 1941), Brazilian singer
- Abel Braga (b. 1952), football manager and a former football player
- Joly Braga Santos (1924-1988), Classical music composer from Lisbon, Portugal
- Jorge Braga de Macedo, Professor, Faculty of Economics, Nova University in Lisbon, Portugal
Historic Events for the Braga family +
- Mrs. Carolina Braga (1892-1914), née Tamorini Italian Third Class Passenger from Milan, Italy who survived the sinking on the Empress of Ireland 
- Mr. Egildo Braga (1886-1914), Italian Third Class Passenger from Milan, Italy who survived the sinking on the Empress of Ireland 
- Master Rino Braga (1912-1914), Italian Third Class Passenger from Milan, Italy who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking 
- Mr. Leonard Braga, British Musician, who sailed into battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking 
Related Stories +