on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Boykin is a nickname
type surname that came from a person who was timid or fearful. The name Boykin is derived from the Slavic word bojazli, which means timid or fearful, or from the related word bojazn, which means fear or dread. This name is also of local
origin and is the name of Bojko mountains, which are in Western Ukraine.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Boykin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Boykin, who arrived in Maryland in 1657
Boykin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert Boykin, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Mrs. James C. Boykin, aged 42, who landed in America, in 1916
- James E. Boykin, aged 38, who settled in America, in 1919
- Irby Boykin, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Thomas C Boykin, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1919
- Lieutenant General William G. Boykin, United States Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence
- William Edward Boykin (1932-2015), American politician, Member of the New Mexico House of Representatives (2001-2007)
- McKinley Boykin (b. 1983), American football defensive tackle
- Deral Lamont Boykin (b. 1970), retired American football safety
- Otis Frank Boykin (1920-1982), African-American inventor and engineer
- Keith Boykin (b. 1965), American broadcaster, author and commentator
- Mary Boykin (1823-1886), American author from South Carolina
- Ronnie Boykin (1935-1980), American jazz bassist
- Earl Antoine Boykin (b. 1976), American professional basketball player
- Nancy M. Boykin, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1972; Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1976; Member of Michigan Republican State Central Committee, 1979
- Dr. John McCaa of Camden, South Carolina, 1793-1859, His Descendants (including the Boykin Family) by John McCaa.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Boykin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Boykin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 08:58.
on orders of $85 or more