Bovet History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bovet family
The surname Bovet was first found in the city of Reggio-Emilia, where records show Gerardo de Corviago Bovini living here in 1079.
Early History of the Bovet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bovet research. Another 51 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1800, 1300, 1503, 1572, 1734, 1781, 1484, 1430 and 1484 are included under the topic Early Bovet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bovet Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Bovet include Bove, Bova, Bovi, Bue, Buo, Bui, Bua, Boe, Boi, Boy, Bo, Dal Bo, Del Bo, Lo Bue, Lo Boi, La Bua, Boelli, Boellis, Bovetto, Bovetti, Bovet, Boetto, Boetti, Boet, Boeddu, Bovino, Bovin, Boin, Buini, Bovoli, Bovani, Boano, Bovini, Bovara, Bovetini, Bovelli, Bovaro, Bovari and many more.
Early Notables of the Bovet family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bovetinodei Bovetini, who was an intellectual in Mantua in the 13th century; Bonincontro dei Bovi was a lawyer in Bologna in 1300; Girolamo Bove was appointed mayor of Sezze by Pope Sisto IV in the 15th century; Giacomo Bovi was senator of Rome; Pietro Bovi and Giovan-Carlo Bovi were Bishops of Ostuno, and the latter also became Archbishop of Brindisi; Bernardo Bovini was mayor of Parma in 1503; Gherardo Bovini was mayor of Reggio; Rambaldo Bovini was mayor of Sassuolo around the same time; Cesare Bovi was made Bishop of Nardo by Pope Gregory...
Another 111 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bovet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bovet migration to the United States +
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Bovet:
Bovet Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Bovet, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Arni Eli Bovet, who settled in Philadelphia in 1860
Bovet migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bovet Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Francoise Bovet, who arrived in Montreal in 1659
- Renee Bovet, who arrived in Montreal in 1659
Contemporary Notables of the name Bovet (post 1700) +
- François de Bovet (1745-1838), Bishop of Sisteron from 1789 to 1817
- Fritz Bovet (1845-1888), Swiss romantic era composer and violinist
- Guy Bovet (b. 1942), Swiss organist and composer
- Edouard Bovet (1797-1849), Swiss watchmaker and founder of the Bovet watch company
- Daniel Bovet (b. 1907), Swiss/Italian pharmacologist
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)