Bova History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bova family
The surname Bova was first found in the city of Reggio-Emilia, where records show Gerardo de Corviago Bovini living here in 1079.
Early History of the Bova family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bova research. Another 51 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1800, 1300, 1503, 1572, 1734, 1781, 1484, 1430 and 1484 are included under the topic Early Bova History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bova Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Bova include Bove, Bova, Bovi, Bue, Buo, Bui, Bua, Boe, Boi, Boy, Bo, Dal Bo, Del Bo, Lo Bue, Lo Boi, La Bua, Boelli, Boellis, Bovetto, Bovetti, Bovet, Boetto, Boetti, Boet, Boeddu, Bovino, Bovin, Boin, Buini, Bovoli, Bovani, Boano, Bovini, Bovara, Bovetini, Bovelli, Bovaro, Bovari and many more.
Early Notables of the Bova family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bovetinodei Bovetini, who was an intellectual in Mantua in the 13th century; Bonincontro dei Bovi was a lawyer in Bologna in 1300; Girolamo Bove was appointed mayor of Sezze by Pope Sisto IV in the 15th century; Giacomo Bovi was senator of Rome; Pietro Bovi and Giovan-Carlo Bovi were Bishops of Ostuno, and the latter also became Archbishop of Brindisi; Bernardo Bovini was mayor of Parma in 1503; Gherardo Bovini was mayor of Reggio; Rambaldo Bovini was mayor of Sassuolo around the same time; Cesare Bovi was made Bishop of Nardo by Pope Gregory...
Another 111 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bova Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bova migration to the United States +
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Bova:
Bova Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Vincent Bova, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906 
- A. Bova, aged 20, who arrived in America from Italy, in 1892
- Amunziato Bova, aged 39, who arrived in America from Scilla, in 1899
Bova Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonina Bova, aged 18, who arrived in America from Termini, Sicily, in 1905
- Angela Bova, aged 4, who arrived in America from Palermo, in 1906
- Anna Bova, aged 0, who arrived in America from Mauocalzati, Italy, in 1906
- Agostino Bova, aged 1, who arrived in America from Cermini, Italy, in 1906
- Anna Bova, aged 19, who arrived in America from Termini, Palermo, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bova (post 1700) +
- Yvette Bova (b. 1969), American female bodybuilding champion
- Jeff Bova (b. 1953), American Grammy Award winning keyboardist, composer, arranger and record producer
- Benjamin William Bova (b. 1932), American science-fiction author and editor
- Anthony J. Bova (1917-1973), American professional football player
- Matthew J. Bova, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 62nd District, 2004 
- Dario Bova (b. 1984), Italian footballer
- Raoul Bova (b. 1971), Italian actor
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html