Bo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bo family
The surname Bo was first found in the city of Reggio-Emilia, where records show Gerardo de Corviago Bovini living here in 1079.
Early History of the Bo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bo research. Another 51 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1800, 1300, 1503, 1572, 1734, 1781, 1484, 1430 and 1484 are included under the topic Early Bo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bo Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Bo include Bove, Bova, Bovi, Bue, Buo, Bui, Bua, Boe, Boi, Boy, Bo, Dal Bo, Del Bo, Lo Bue, Lo Boi, La Bua, Boelli, Boellis, Bovetto, Bovetti, Bovet, Boetto, Boetti, Boet, Boeddu, Bovino, Bovin, Boin, Buini, Bovoli, Bovani, Boano, Bovini, Bovara, Bovetini, Bovelli, Bovaro, Bovari and many more.
Early Notables of the Bo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bovetinodei Bovetini, who was an intellectual in Mantua in the 13th century; Bonincontro dei Bovi was a lawyer in Bologna in 1300; Girolamo Bove was appointed mayor of Sezze by Pope Sisto IV in the 15th century; Giacomo Bovi was senator of Rome; Pietro Bovi and Giovan-Carlo Bovi were Bishops of Ostuno, and the latter also became Archbishop of Brindisi; Bernardo Bovini was mayor of Parma in 1503; Gherardo Bovini was mayor of Reggio; Rambaldo Bovini was mayor of Sassuolo around the same time; Cesare Bovi was made Bishop of Nardo by Pope Gregory...
Another 111 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bo family
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Bo: Gino Bove, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1822 at the age of 21; D. Bovelli arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1823 at the age of 46..
Contemporary Notables of the name Bo (post 1700) +
- Hans Bo Berglund (b. 1948), Swedish sprint canoer
- Steven Bo Keeley (b. 1949), American adventurer, naturalist, holistic healer, veterinarian, professional athlete
- Lina Bo Bardi (1914-1992), Brazilian, Italian born architect nee Bo
- Bo Derek (b. 1956), born Mary Cathleen Collins, American film actress and model, perhaps best known for her role in the 1979 film 10
- Bo Gustav Stenson (b. 1944), Swedish jazz pianist, founder of The Bobo Stenson Trio
- Bo Einar "Bosse" Larsson (1934-2015), Swedish television presenter
- Bo Bowling (b. 1987), American CFL football player for the Montreal Alouettes
- Bo Van Pelt (b. 1975), American PGA professional golfer
- Bo Hamburger (b. 1970), former Danish professional road racing cyclist
- Bo Axel Magnus Lundgren (b. 1947), Swedish politician
Related Stories +