Blinken History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Blinken comes from a place name. The roots of this Scottish place name; however date back to the great movement of the Norse Vikings. The ancestors of the Blinken family lived in Blencarne, in the parish of Kirkland, in the county of Cumberland.
Early Origins of the Blinken family
The surname Blinken was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Blinken family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blinken research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1280 is included under the topic Early Blinken History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blinken Spelling Variations
Spelling and translation were quite undeveloped in the Middle Ages. Consequently, the spelling of Scottish names was an inconsistent practice, usually governed by the unique ear of the scribe recording the name. Over the years, Blinken was spelled Blenkhorn, Blinckharne, Blencarne, Blincarne, Blankhorne, Blinkarne, Blenken, Blinkhorn and many more.
Early Notables of the Blinken family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Blinken Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Blinken family
Opportunity and land greeted those who made it all the way. Some had the opportunity to solidify their new freedom by fighting in the American War of Independence, while others went or stayed north as United Empire Loyalists. Recently, the ancestors of those brave settlers have been able to recover much of their heritage through Clan societies and other patriotic organizations. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Blinken: Sharp Blenken who settled in Philadelphia in 1846; William Blinkhorn settled in Nova Scotia in 1774 with his wife Anne, sons, William and John, Daughters Ann and Eleanor.
Contemporary Notables of the name Blinken (post 1700)
- Samuel M. Blinken, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 11th District, 1938 
- Donald M. Blinken (b. 1925), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Hungary, 1994 
- Alan John Blinken (b. 1937), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Belgium, 1993-98 
- Alan Blinken, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Idaho, 2002; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Idaho, 2004 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html