Blessington History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Blessington family
The surname Blessington was first found in Lancashire at Pleasington, a village and civil parish in the Borough of Blackburn with Darwen that dates back to 1196 when it was listed as Plesigtuna and literally meant "estate associated with a man called Pleasa" from the Old English personal name + "ing" + "tun."  Another reference claims that it was listed in the Domesday Book, but we cannot collaborate this claim. As far as the surname is concerned, it was first referenced in the 13th century and are recorded in the Harleian Manuscripts in the British Museum 1139, folio 37b.
Sir Robert de Plesyngton (died 1393) was "Chief Baron of the Exchequer, was no doubt a member of the Lancashire family which derived its name from Pleasington, near Blackburn, and was perhaps a cousin of the first of that name, who owned Dimples in Garstang, Lancashire, where the family survived until the rebellion of 1715." 
Important Dates for the Blessington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blessington research. Another 89 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1437, 1468, 1549, 1468, 1455, 1487, 1351, 1637 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Blessington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blessington Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Plessington, Blessington, Pleasington and many more.
Early Notables of the Blessington family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Blessington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Blessington migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Blessington Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Blessington, who landed in Virginia in 1701 
Blessington Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J P Blessington, who landed in Texas in 1850 
- Patrick Blessington, aged 18, who arrived in New York in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Blessington (post 1700)
- Marguerite Blessington (1789-1849), Irish authoress, born at Knockbrit, near Clonmel, co. Tipperary 
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 5 Feb. 2019