on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Blatz surname comes from the German word "plötz," a type of fish. As such, the surname may have evolved from a nickname
for someone thought to resemble the fish, or as an occupational
name for someone who caught or sold these fish.
The surname Blatz was first found in Saxony
, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Plotz, Plots, Plotze, Plotzes, Plotse, Plottz, Plotts, Plootz, Ploots, Plottzes, Blotz, Blots and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blatz research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1790 is included under the topic Early Blatz History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Blatz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Blatz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Geo Blatz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
Blatz Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Daniel Blatz, who landed in Manitoba in 1875
- Gerhard Blatz, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Alphonse J. Blatz, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 16th District, 1932
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
The Blatz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Blatz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 December 2015 at 13:15.
on orders of $85 or more