on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The German surname Bierman is generally thought to be derived from the word "bier" and "mann, " which translates to "beer-man." Thus the original bearer of the name was likely a tavern owner, a brewer, or someone whose occupation
The surname Bierman was first found in the region of the Rhineland-Palatinate, where the ancestors of bearers of the Bierman surname were an integral part of the local
communities, and contributed to the development of the Feudal
System that became the backbone of early European society. Records of this surname in Germany
date back as far as the thirteenth century. In the year 1290, there were two men bearing this name: Rudolf, and Wernher genannt (called) die Biermenlin in the town of Esslingen. There is also a record of a Werner der Bierman, whose name appeared in a document in Wurttemburg in 1349.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bier, Bierman, Biermann, Behrman, Behrmann and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bierman research. Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1349 is included under the topic Early Bierman History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Bierman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bierman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Bierman, who arrived in New York, NY in 1710
- Anna Sophia Bierman, moved to America in 1787
- Anna Sopba Bierman, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1787
Bierman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Bierman, who arrived in Maryland in 1838
- William Bierman, who landed in Arkansas in 1849
- Charles Bierman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
- A Bierman, who landed in Arkansas in 1890
- Anton Bierman, who landed in Arkansas in 1892
- Susan Bierman, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996
- Louis Bierman, American politician, Member of Illinois Socialist State Central Committee, 1919
- Everett E. Bierman (b. 1924), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Papua New Guinea, 1986-89; Solomon Islands, 1986-89; Vanuatu, 1987-89
- Samuel Nathan Bierman (1893-1973), American playwright and author
- Frederick Elliott Bierman (1884-1968), American three-term Democratic U.S. Representative
- Bernie Bierman (1894-1977), American college football coach elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955
- Ludwig Franz Benedict Bierman (1907-1986), German astronomer who won the Bruce Medal in 1967 and the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1974
- Wolf Bierman (b. 1936), German folk singer, and beat era poet
- Ronnie Greetje Bierman (1938-1984), Dutch film and television actress
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Bierman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bierman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2015 at 11:23.
on orders of $85 or more