on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Bierman family come from? What is the German Bierman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bierman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bierman family history?The German surname Bierman is generally thought to be derived from the word "bier" and "mann, " which translates to "beer-man." Thus the original bearer of the name was likely a tavern owner, a brewer, or someone whose occupation involved beer.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bier, Bierman, Biermann, Behrman, Behrmann and others.
First found in the region of the Rhineland-Palatinate, where the ancestors of bearers of the Bierman surname were an integral part of the local communities, and contributed to the development of the Feudal System that became the backbone of early European society. Records of this surname in Germany date back as far as the thirteenth century. In the year 1290, there were two men bearing this name: Rudolf, and Wernher genannt (called) die Biermenlin in the town of Esslingen. There is also a record of a Werner der Bierman, whose name appeared in a document in Wurttemburg in 1349.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bierman research. Another 96 words(7 lines of text) covering the year 1349 is included under the topic Early Bierman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bierman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bierman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Bierman, who arrived in New York, NY in 1710
- Anna Sophia Bierman, moved to America in 1787
- Anna Sopba Bierman, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1787
Bierman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Bierman, who arrived in Maryland in 1838
- William Bierman, who landed in Arkansas in 1849
- Charles Bierman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
- A Bierman, who landed in Arkansas in 1890
- Anton Bierman, who landed in Arkansas in 1892
- Samuel Nathan Bierman (1893-1973), American playwright and author
- Bernie Bierman (1894-1977), American college football coach elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955
- Frederick Elliott Bierman (1884-1968), American three-term Democratic U.S. Representative
- Wolf Bierman (b. 1936), German folk singer, and beat era poet
- Ludwig Franz Benedict Bierman (1907-1986), German astronomer who won the Bruce Medal in 1967 and the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1974
- Ronnie Greetje Bierman (1938-1984), Dutch film and television actress
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
The Bierman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bierman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 April 2015 at 06:20.
on orders of $85 or more