The enchanting region of Bourgoigne was the historical homeland of the prominent surname Bibeau. Bibeau is a topographic surname, which is a type of hereditary surname. These were given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local
names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came.
Early Origins of the Bibeau family
The surname Bibeau was first found in Bourgogne.
Early History of the Bibeau family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bibeau research.Another 53 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1671, 1870, and 1871 are included under the topic Early Bibeau History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bibeau Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Bibeau family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was François Bibeau, son of Jacques, an innkeeper, who was a member of the parish of Notre-Dame-de-Cogre. While he was only a laborer, he was one of the first of the family to arrive in Quebec. He married Jeanne Chalifour in Quebec on August 17th, 1671. He was also the direct ancestor of Michel Bibaud. Much later records show Leon Bibaud, a painter living in... Another 71 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bibeau Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bibeau family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bibeau Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jean-Baptiste Bibeau was married in America in 1722
- Joseph Bibeau was married in America in 1730
Bibeau Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- François Bibeau, son of Jaques, an innkeeper, who was parish of Notre-Dame-de-Cogre. He was also a laborer and fifteen years after his immigration to Quebec he was married in 1671
Bibeau Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Nicolas Bibeau was married in 1717 in Sorel, according to Canadian historical documents
- François Bibeau, after having arrived from France, was married in Quebec in 1719
Contemporary Notables of the name Bibeau (post 1700)
- Mother Marie Bibeau (1865-1924), Canadian first Superior General of the Little Franciscans of Mary, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Antoine Bibeau (b. 1994), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Gilles Bibeau, Canadian educator and professor of Anthropology at the University of Montreal
- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Canadian federal politician, Minister of International Development (2015-)
- Ferdinand R Bibeau, Canadian executive in Montreal, President of Beauward Shopping Centers (1964-) and President of Schokbeton Quebec Inc. and
Bibeau Family Crest Products