100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Betz, Betze, Betzer, Betzen, Betzenstein, Betzhold, Betzler, Petz, Beitz and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name Betz.was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Betz research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1603, 1677, 1733, and 1811 are included under the topic Early Betz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 24 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Betz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Betz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Maria Betz, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Melchior Betz, who landed in America in 1738
- Johan Wilhelm Betz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1740
- Hans Georg Betz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Matheas Betz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748
Betz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J J Betz, aged 19, landed in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Henry Betz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- Adam Betz, who settled in New York in 1839
- Jacob Betz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Frederick Betz, who landed in New York in 1844
Betz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emilie Betz, aged 15, landed in New York, NY in 1912
- Helena Betz, aged 3, landed in New York, NY in 1912
- Jakob Betz, aged 36, landed in New York, NY in 1912
- Pauline Betz, aged 31, arrived in New York, NY in 1912
- Claire Smith Betz (1921-2014), American part owner of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team
- Matthew Betz (1881-1938), American film actor who appeared in 125 films
- Pauline May Betz (b. 1919), American tennis player, inducted in the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1965
- Carl Betz (1920-1978), American actor, best known for the role of Dr. Alex Stone on The Donna Reed Show
- Peter Betz (1949-1988), Philadelphia Phillies executive
- Karl Betz (1907-1942), German Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Paul Otto Ferdinand Betz (1895-1944), German Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Franz Betz (1835-1900), German bass-baritone opera singer
- Albert Betz (1885-1968), German Engineer, pioneer of wind energy technology
- Hans-Dieter Betz (b. 1940), German experimental physicist and emeritus professor
- The Ancestors and Descendants of Herman Buechele and Mary Rehklau and Michael Kirchner and Barbara Betz by Ruth Buchele Doerr.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Betz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Betz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 February 2015 at 16:26.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!