Bertuzzi History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bertuzzi family
The surname Bertuzzi was first found in the city of Ferrara, where Giacomo Bertazzi was assistant to Pope Sergio II in 845. Francesco Bertazzi, was head of the Venetian Republic in the year 1007; Enrico Bertoli in Mazzara, elected Cardinal by Pope Pasquale II in 1110; the Bertone family of Chieri owned vast lands and belonged to the most ancient and most prestigious nobility; Bellincione Berti, born in 1220 in Florence, was talked about twice by Dante in the Paradiso as being a noble citizen.
Today it is difficult to imagine the movement of people throughout Europe. London was often the epicenter of culture. Francesca Bertolli "arrived in England about the end of September 1729 and was a splendid contralto, and 'also a very genteel actress, both in men and women's parts.' She was one of the new company with which Handel opened the season of 1729-1730, and appeared in 'Lotario' and the revival of 'Tolomeo,' and in 'Partenope,' Feb. 24, 1730." 
Early History of the Bertuzzi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bertuzzi research. More information is included under the topic Early Bertuzzi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bertuzzi Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Bertuzzi include Berti, Berto, Bert, Berta, De Berti, De Berto, Di Berto, Bertelli, Bertello, Bertella, Bertini, Bertino, Bertinetti, Bertinetto, Bertucci, Berteri, Bertieri, Bertera and many more.
Early Notables of the Bertuzzi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Simone di Bartolomeo Berti was a Florentine monk in 1450; Giacomo Bertacchi was mayor of Sassuolo in 1602; another Giacomo Bertacchini was mayor of Savignano in 1690; Jacopo Bertoia, also known as Giacomo Zanguidi or Jacopo Zanguidi or Bertoja, (1544-ca.1574), was an Italian painter; Alessandro Pompeo Berti was a philosopher, theologian, and monk in Lucca in 1690; Giorgio Pietro Berti was a composer, organ player, and singer in Venice in the 17th century; Mauro Berti was a famous painter and architect in...
Another 88 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bertuzzi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bertuzzi migration to the United States +
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Bertuzzi:
Bertuzzi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alessandro Bertuzzi, aged 22, who settled in America from Malcesine, Italy, in 1905
- Domenico Bertuzzi, aged 42, who settled in America from Terona, Italy, in 1905
- Antonio Bertuzzi, aged 31, who landed in America from Conco, Italy, in 1909
- Luigi Bertuzzi, aged 5, who landed in America from Coli, Italy, in 1909
- Guiseppe Bertuzzi, aged 21, who landed in America from Conco, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bertuzzi (post 1700) +
- Irnerio Bertuzzi (1919-1962), Italian military aviator of World War II, recipient of the Silver Medal of Military Valor (2) and the Bronze Medal of Military Valor
- Todd Bertuzzi (b. 1975), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey winger
Related Stories +
- ^ Grove, Sir George, A Dictionary of Music and Musicians (AD. 1450-1889) London: Macmillan1902, Print, 2 Vols