Bertoni History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bertoni family
The surname Bertoni was first found in the city of Ferrara, where Giacomo Bertazzi was assistant to Pope Sergio II in 845.
Early History of the Bertoni family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bertoni research. More information is included under the topic Early Bertoni History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bertoni Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Bertoni include Berti, Berto, Bert, Berta, De Berti, De Berto, Di Berto, Bertelli, Bertello, Bertella, Bertini, Bertino, Bertinetti, Bertinetto, Bertucci, Berteri, Bertieri, Bertera and many more.
Early Notables of the Bertoni family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Francesco Bertazzi, who was head of the Venetian Republic in the year 1007; Enrico Bertoli in Mazzara, elected Cardinal by Pope Pasquale II in 1110; the Bertone family of Chieri owned vast lands and belonged to the most ancient and most prestigious nobility; Bellincione Berti, born in 1220 in Florence, was talked about twice by Dante in the Paradiso as being a noble citizen; Simone di Bartolomeo Berti was a Florentine monk in 1450; Giacomo Bertacchi was mayor of Sassuolo in 1602; another Giacomo Bertacchini was mayor of Savignano in 1690; Jacopo Bertoia, also...
Another 140 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bertoni Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bertoni family
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Bertoni: Bert Bertola, who arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1822 at the age of 34; and Charles Berto, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1858, Silvio Berti, who was recorded in Pennsylvania in 1903, as well as Louis Bertino, who arrived in New York city in 1864..
Contemporary Notables of the name Bertoni (post 1700) +
- Remo Bertoni (b. 1929), Italian retired footballer and manager
- Luigi Bertoni (1872-1947), Italian-born anarchist writer and typographer
- Remo Bertoni (1909-1973), Italian professional road bicycle racer
- Saint Gaspar Louis Bertoni (1777-1853), Italian venerated as a saint by the Catholic Church
- Sergio Bertoni (1915-1995), Italian football player in striker role, and later manager
- Flaminio Bertoni (1903-1964), Italian automobile designer
- Ferdinando Bertoni (1725-1813), Italian composer and organist
- Xavier Bertoni (b. 1988), French Freestyle skiier
- Mosè Giacomo Bertoni (1857-1929), Swiss botanist
- Ricardo Daniel Bertoni (b. 1955), former Argentine footballer
Related Stories +