Berti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Berti family
The surname Berti was first found in the city of Ferrara, where Giacomo Bertazzi was assistant to Pope Sergio II in 845.
Early History of the Berti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berti research. More information is included under the topic Early Berti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berti Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Berti include Berti, Berto, Bert, Berta, De Berti, De Berto, Di Berto, Bertelli, Bertello, Bertella, Bertini, Bertino, Bertinetti, Bertinetto, Bertucci, Berteri, Bertieri, Bertera and many more.
Early Notables of the Berti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Francesco Bertazzi, who was head of the Venetian Republic in the year 1007; Enrico Bertoli in Mazzara, elected Cardinal by Pope Pasquale II in 1110; the Bertone family of Chieri owned vast lands and belonged to the most ancient and most prestigious nobility; Bellincione Berti, born in 1220 in Florence, was talked about twice by Dante in the Paradiso as being a noble citizen; Simone di Bartolomeo Berti was a Florentine monk in 1450; Giacomo Bertacchi was mayor of Sassuolo in 1602; another Giacomo Bertacchini was mayor of Savignano in 1690; Jacopo Bertoia, also...
Another 140 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Berti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Berti family
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Berti: Bert Bertola, who arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1822 at the age of 34; and Charles Berto, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1858, Silvio Berti, who was recorded in Pennsylvania in 1903, as well as Louis Bertino, who arrived in New York city in 1864..
Contemporary Notables of the name Berti (post 1700) +
- Ruggero Berti (1909-1985), American cyclist at the 1932 Summer Olympics
- Joel Berti (b. 1971), American actor
- Enrico Berti (1935-2022), Italian philosopher and professor emeritus of philosophy at the University of Padua
- Giordano Berti (b. 1959), Italian Arts writer and teacher
- Gianluca Berti (b. 1967), retired Italian football goalkeeper
- Nicola Berti (b. 1967), Italian former footballer
- Adam Berti (b. 1986), Canadian professional ice hockey left winger for the Chicago Blackhawks
- László Berti (1875-1952), Hungarian gold medalist fencer at the 1912 Summer Olympics
- Mario Berti (1881-1964), Italian officer during World War I and General in the Spanish Civil War and World War II
- Marina Berti (1924-2002), born Elena Maureen Bertolini, an English-born Italian film actress
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Berti family +
- Noelle Lydie Berti (1947-1988), American Flight Attendant from Paris, France, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died 
Related Stories +