Berra History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Berra is thought to derive from a place name. There is a municipality of Berra in the province of Ferrara, in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna; as a surname, Berra no doubt meant "one who hailed from Berra."
Early Origins of the Berra family
The surname Berra was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. One of the first records of the name was of a Berra, whose members were lords of Berra, Zoetto, Falicone, and Caudalunga. Antonio Berra was awarded the title of Baron in 1602.
Early History of the Berra family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berra research. More information is included under the topic Early Berra History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berra Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berra, Bera, Berrara and others.
Early Notables of the Berra family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Berra Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berra migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Berra Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Berra, aged 20, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1826 
- Pedro Antonio De Berra, aged 29, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1833 
- Jose Emeterio De Berra, aged 19, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1834 
Berra migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Berra Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mr. Lazerro Berra, British convict who was convicted in Roseau, Dominica for life, transported aboard the "England" on 6th June 1835, arriving in New South Wales, Australia 
Contemporary Notables of the name Berra (post 1700) +
- Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra (1925-2015), American legendary Major League Baseball catcher, manager, and coach, winner of 13 World Series titles, inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972
- Tim M Berra, American Professor Emeritus of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology at the Ohio State University
- Steve Berra (b. 1973), American skateboarder and actor
- Dale Berra (b. 1956), American baseball player
- Christophe Berra (b. 1985), Scottish footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Convict Records Voyages to Australia (Retrieved 28th April 2022). https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/england