Berning History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Berning lie in the province of Westphalia. The name is of two different possible origins; firstly, it is derived from "Berninghausen," the name of a town in Westphalia. Alternatively, it may indicate "son of Berning," a diminutive of "Bern," which is itself derived from the Old High German "bero," meaning "bear."
Early Origins of the Berning family
The surname Berning was first found in Westphalia, where the name is thought to have first emerged. It was a common practice of the time to refer to a new resident of a city by the name of his hometown; thus, it is likely that the progenitor of the name was a native of the town of Berninghausen who had settled somewhere else. The young Berning family was instrumental in the development of medieval Westphalian society, and played a significant role in the history of the region.
Early History of the Berning family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berning research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1574, 1668, and 1843 are included under the topic Early Berning History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berning Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berning, Berninghausen, Berninger, Beringhausen, Behrning, Behrninger, Barning, Barninger and many more.
Early Notables of the Berning family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Berning Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Berning is the 13,583rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Berning migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Berning Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Herm Heinr Berning, who arrived in America in 1838 
- Jodocus Heinr Berning, who landed in America in 1840 
- Sophie Berning, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1896
Berning Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Theodor Berning, aged 55, who immigrated to the United States, in 1904
- John Berning, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- John B. Berning, aged 68, who landed in America, in 1910
- Henny Berning, aged 45, who immigrated to the United States, in 1910
- G. John Berning, aged 41, who landed in America, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Berning (post 1700) +
- Robert Berning (1935-2008), American grocer and principal wine buyer for Trader Joe's specialty grocery store
- Susie Maxwell Berning (b. 1941), American professional golfer
- Tina Berning (b. 1969), German artist and illustrator in Berlin
- Hans Heinrich Berning (b. 1934), founder of Otto Berning & Co., a German company known for producing the Robot surveillance cameras
- Wilhelm Berning (1877-1955), prominent German bishop
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)