Bernardino History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Bernardino surname was created from the personal name Bernardo, originally a Germanic name.
Early Origins of the Bernardino family
The surname Bernardino was first found in Bolgna (Latin: Bononia), the largest city and the capital of Emilia-Romagna Region. The famous University of Bolgna was founded in the 11th century, by the 13th century the student body was nearly 10,000. Dante and Petrarch studied there. Tisso was tried there for 1564 for writing satirical poems. Bologna naturally, is famous for its sausages. But many noted scholars were born there. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Bernardino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bernardino research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1576, 1775, 1475, 1502, 1541, 1605, 1598, 1680, 1667 and 1736 are included under the topic Early Bernardino History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bernardino Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bernardi, Bernardo, Bernardis, Bernard, Bernardelli, Bernardello, Bernardini, De Bernardinis, Bernardino, Bernardotti, Bernardoni, Berni, Berno, Bernetti, Bernotti, Bernaroli, Bernero and many more.
Early Notables of the Bernardino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Pietro Bernardino dei Fanciulli (Petrus Bernardinus) (c.1475-1502), a follower of Savonarola; Giovanni Maria Bernardoni (1541-1605), a Jesuit monk and an Italian architect who was the first to design the Baroque style in Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania; and Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680), an Italian artist and...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bernardino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bernardino migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bernardino Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carmine Bernardino, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Domenico Bernardino, aged 0, who immigrated to America, in 1895
Bernardino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cesare Bernardino, who landed in America, in 1906
- Antonio Bernardino, aged 17, who settled in America from Norcia, Italy, in 1907
- Alfredo Bernardino, aged 40, who settled in America from Lisbon, Portugal, in 1910
- Antonio Bernardino, aged 47, who landed in America from Chaves, Portugal, in 1916
- Antonio Bernardino, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from Havana, Cuba, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Bernardino (post 1700) +
- Bernardino Lombao Sotuela (1938-2020), Spanish athlete, businessman, television presenter and sports coach
- Bernardino Gagliardi (1609-1660), Italian painter of the Baroque period
- Bernardino Molinari (1880-1951), Italian composer and conductor
- Bernardino Luis Machado Guimarães (1851-1944), Brazilian born Portuguese politician, two time president of Portugal
- Bernardino Vila Aliaga (b. 1903), civil engineer from Chile
- Bernardino Luini (1481-1532), painter
- Bernardino Campi, Italian artist
Related Stories +