Bergstein History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Bergstein family
The surname Bergstein was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history.The Old High German "berg" meant 'hill', while "Stein" meant 'stone'. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Early History of the Bergstein family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bergstein research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1100, 1716, 1834, and 1842 are included under the topic Early Bergstein History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bergstein Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bergstein, Burgstein, Bergerstein, Berggestein, Burghstein, Burghestein and many more.
Early Notables of the Bergstein family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bergstein Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bergstein migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bergstein Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daria Bergstein, aged 25, who landed in America from Rana Rusha, Austria, in 1893
- Hense Bergstein, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1896
Bergstein Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Max Bergstein, who settled in Mobile, Alabama in 1906
- Annie Bergstein, aged 22, who landed in America from London, England, in 1906
- Adolf Bergstein, aged 2, who landed in America from Tiszanjlotz, Hungary, in 1907
- Feige Bergstein, aged 28, who landed in America from Rosede, Russia, in 1907
- Clara Bergstein, aged 17, who settled in America from Skomoroch, Austria, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bergstein (post 1700) +
- Eleanor Bergstein (b. 1938), American writer, best known for writing and co-producing Dirty Dancing
- David Rafael Bergstein (b. 1963), American entrepreneur and film producer
- Alan A. Bergstein, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 21st District, 2000 
- Fania Bergstein (1908-1950), Hebrew poet, born in Szczuczyn, in Russian Poland
Related Stories +