Bergh History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Bergh comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Early Origins of the Bergh family
The surname Bergh was first found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
Early History of the Bergh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bergh research. Another 27 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1587, 1660, 1618, 1687, 1664, 1755, 1709, 1748, 1799 and 1873 are included under the topic Early Bergh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bergh Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van den Bergh, Van der Bergh, Van den Burgh and many more.
Early Notables of the Bergh family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included the counts Van den Berghs, beginning in the 16th century; Jan van den Bergh (1587-1660), a Dutch Golden Age painter; Matthias Jansz. van den Bergh (1618-1687), a Dutch...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bergh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bergh migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bergh Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- L Bergh, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
Bergh Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Arthur Bergh, who landed in Alabama in 1913 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bergh (post 1700) +
- Henry Bergh (1811-1888), American humanitarian and reformer, who founded a society against cruelty to animals (ASPCA) in 1866
- L. Van Den Bergh, American politician, Delegate to Socialist National Convention from Minnesota, 1920. Dutch ancestry 
- Robert S. S. Bergh (1852-1923), American politician, U.S. Consul in Gothenberg, 1898-1907; Mainz, 1907-08; Belgrade, 1908-11; Stoke-on-Trent, 1911-17; Stavanger, 1922 
- Ilja Bergh (1927-2015), Danish pianist and composer
- Odd Bergh (b. 1937), former Norwegian athlete who specialized in the triple jump and long jump
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html