The distinguished surname Benedetto originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal
System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Benedetto came from the first name "Benito," which is the Italian form of Benedict, which means blessed.
Early Origins of the Benedetto family
The surname Benedetto was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna
, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice
in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S. Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Benedetto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Benedetto research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1405, 1414, 1819, 1530 and 1590 are included under the topic Early Benedetto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Benedetto Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Benzi, Benzo, Benza, Bensi, Penzo, Penza, Pensi, Penso, Benzizni, Benzani, Benzan and many more.
Early Notables of the Benedetto family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Benedetto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Benedetto family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Benedetto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- A. Benedetto, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1893
Benedetto Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Delbianco Benedetto, who settled in Ashtabula Co. OH sometime between 1875 and 1906
- Americo Benedetto, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Colleretto, Italy, in 1908
- Amelia Benedetto, aged 19, who landed in America from Cavaglia, Italy, in 1910
- Alessandro Benedetto, aged 17, who landed in America from Cave, Italy, in 1910
- Angela Benedetto, aged 26, who settled in America from Palermo, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Benedetto (post 1700)
- Robert Benedetto (b. 1946), American luthier, founder of Benedetto Guitars
- Antonio Dominick Benedetto (b. 1926), birth name of Tony Bennett, American singer of popular music, standards, show tunes, and jazz who has won fifteen Grammy Awards and two Emmy Awards
- Francis Anthony Benedetto, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Florida, 1956
- Aldo R. Benedetto, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 19th District, 1962
- Davide di Benedetto (b. 1983), Italian racing driver
- Ida Di Benedetto (b. 1945), Italian actress and film producer
- John Joseph Benedetto (b. 1939), Professor of Mathematics at the University of Maryland
- Antonio di Benedetto (1922-1986), Argentine journalist and writer
- Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione (1609-1664), Italian Baroque artist, painter, printmaker and draftsman
- Benedetto Cottone (1917-2018), Italian politician who lived to be 100 years old
Benedetto Family Crest Products