Benedet History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Benedet originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Benedet came from the first name "Benito," which is the Italian form of Benedict, which means blessed.
Early Origins of the Benedet family
The surname Benedet was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S. Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Important Dates for the Benedet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Benedet research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1405, 1414, 1819, 1530 and 1590 are included under the topic Early Benedet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Benedet Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Benzi, Benzo, Benza, Bensi, Penzo, Penza, Pensi, Penso, Benzizni, Benzani, Benzan and many more.
Early Notables of the Benedet family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Benedet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Benedet migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Benedet Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Giuseppe Benedet, aged 26, originally from Pieve Cadore, who arrived in New York in 1900 aboard the ship "Augusta Victoria" from Genoa, Italy 
- Giacomo Benedet, aged 38, originally from Fiume Veneto, Udine, who arrived in New York in 1920 aboard the ship "Regina d'Italia" from Napoli, Italy 
Contemporary Notables of the name Benedet (post 1700)
- Rachel Helene Kasper de Benedet (b. 1967), American actress and singer best known for her roles in musical theatre
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXDR-23X : 6 December 2014), Giuseppe Benedet, 16 Jan 1900; citing departure port Genoa, arrival port New York, ship name Augusta Victoria, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6CG-YZZ : 6 December 2014), Giacomo Benedet, 20 Apr 1920; citing departure port Napoli, arrival port New York, ship name Regina d'Italia, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).