The tale of the name Belmain begins with a family who lived in the old lands of Balmanno in Kincardine. The name is a topographic
surname, which was given to a family who held a barony or lands, had houses, manors or estates in the area.
Early Origins of the Belmain family
The surname Belmain was first found in Kincardine, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Belmain family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belmain research.Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1447 and 1582 are included under the topic Early Belmain History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belmain Spelling Variations
Before the first dictionaries appeared in the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled according to sound. spelling variations
are common among Scottish names. Belmain has been spelled Balmano, Belmano, Belmanno, Bolmano, Ballmanno and many more.
Early Notables of the Belmain family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Belmain Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Belmain family to the New World and Oceana
In those unstable times, many had no choice but to leave their beloved homelands. Sickness and poverty hounded travelers to North America, but those who made it were welcomed with land and opportunity. These settlers gave the young nations of Canada and the United States a strong backbone as they stood up for their beliefs as United Empire Loyalists and in the American War of Independence
. In this century, the ancestors of these brave Scots have begun to recover their illustrious heritage through Clan
societies and other heritage organizations. Early passenger and immigration lists reveal many Scottish settlers bearing the name Belmain: Bamon Balmon who settled in Philadelphia, Pa. in 1868. William Belmano arrived in Philadelphia in 1856.