on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Italian
Where did the English Bellis family come from? What is the English Bellis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bellis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bellis family history?The surname Bellis is a name that was originally given to a near the outer wall of a feudal castle which is derived from the Old French word baille, which referred to such a structure.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bayle, Bayles, Baile, Bailes, Bellis and others.
First found in Colchester, where they had been granted lands about the year 1500. The name was originally spelt Bellis.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bellis research. Another 115 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bellis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bellis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Bellis, who came to St. Christopher in 1635
- Edward Bellis settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Edward Bellis, aged 21, landed in St Christopher in 1635
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Bellis, who settled in America in 1730
- John Bellis, who came to America in 1774
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Manuel Bellis, who came to Philadelphia in 1820
- Samuel Bellis, who arrived in Indiana in 1851
- J. B. Bellis, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- J. B. Bellis settled in San Francisco, California in 1852
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lazaros Bellis, who arrived in Boston in 1906
Bellis Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Bellis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Stratheden" in 1850
- Edward Bellis, aged 25, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Dirigo"
- Joy Bellis, American Jazz Singer
- Richard Bellis (b. 1946), American Primetime Emmy Award winning composer from Pasadena, California
- Benjamin Neil Bellis (b. 1924), retired American Air Force Lieutenant General, Vice Commander in chief, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
- Guy Bellis (1886-1980), English actor
- Alfred "Alf" Bellis (b. 1920), former English footballer
- George Alfred Bellis (1904-1969), Indian-born, English professional footballer
- Bertram Thomas Bellis, Headmaster, The Leys School, Cambridge
- Jonathan Bellis (b. 1988), Manx racing cyclist from Douglas
- Scott Bellis, Canadian actor from Vancouver
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Bellis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bellis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2015 at 22:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more