100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Italian
Where did the English Bellis family come from? What is the English Bellis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bellis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bellis family history?The surname Bellis is a name that was originally given to a near the outer wall of a feudal castle which is derived from the Old French word baille, which referred to such a structure.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bayle, Bayles, Baile, Bailes, Bellis and others.
First found in Colchester, where they had been granted lands about the year 1500. The name was originally spelt Bellis.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bellis research. Another 115 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bellis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bellis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Bellis, who came to St. Christopher in 1635
- Edward Bellis settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Edward Bellis, aged 21, landed in St Christopher in 1635
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Bellis, who settled in America in 1730
- John Bellis, who came to America in 1774
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Manuel Bellis, who came to Philadelphia in 1820
- Samuel Bellis, who arrived in Indiana in 1851
- J. B. Bellis, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- J. B. Bellis settled in San Francisco, California in 1852
Bellis Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lazaros Bellis, who arrived in Boston in 1906
Bellis Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Bellis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Stratheden" in 1850
- Edward Bellis, aged 25, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Dirigo"
- Benjamin Neil Bellis (b. 1924), retired American Air Force Lieutenant General, Vice Commander in chief, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
- Richard Bellis (b. 1946), American Primetime Emmy Award winning composer from Pasadena, California
- Joy Bellis, American Jazz Singer
- George Alfred Bellis (1904-1969), Indian-born, English professional footballer
- Alfred "Alf" Bellis (b. 1920), former English footballer
- Guy Bellis (1886-1980), English actor
- Scott Bellis, Canadian actor from Vancouver
- Jonathan Bellis (b. 1988), Manx racing cyclist from Douglas
- Bertram Thomas Bellis, Headmaster, The Leys School, Cambridge
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Bellis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bellis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2015 at 22:06.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!