Beitzel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Beitzel family
The surname Beitzel was first found in Franconia and Thuringia, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by various leaders in their search for power. Chronicles first mention L. Beczolt of Merseburg in 1489.
Early History of the Beitzel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beitzel research. Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1836 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Beitzel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beitzel Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Beitzel include Betzold, Betsold, Bezold, Betzolt, Betsolt, Bezolt, Bessold, Bessolt, Petzold, Petzoldt, Betzoldt, Bedsole and many more.
Early Notables of the Beitzel family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name Beitzel in this period include Albert von Betzold (b.1836), who was the son of the eminent D. von Betzold. Albert rose to even greater renown than his father, as he was a student...
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beitzel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beitzel migration to the United States +
Between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries, German settlers arrived in North America by the thousands. Persecution based on religion and poverty were great motivators in this large-scale migration. So too was the opportunity for tenant farmers to own their own land. Ample land and opportunity awaited the settlers who went to such states as Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California, as well as Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Beitzel or a variant listed above:
Beitzel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Beitzel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737 
- Johan Henrich Beitzel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748 
- Nicklaus Beitzel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Marie Catherine Beitzel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1797 
- Catherine Beitzel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1797 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Beitzel (post 1700) +
- Lewis D. Beitzel, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Groton; Elected 1930, 1932 
- Henry John "Harry" Beitzel (1927-2017), Australian football umpire, print, radio and television sports broadcaster
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html