Behrman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Behrman is generally thought to be derived from the word "bier" and "mann, " which translates to "beer-man." Thus the original bearer of the name was likely a tavern owner, a brewer, or someone whose occupation involved beer.
Early Origins of the Behrman family
The surname Behrman was first found in the region of the Rhineland-Palatinate, where the ancestors of bearers of the Behrman surname were an integral part of the local communities, and contributed to the development of the Feudal System that became the backbone of early European society. Records of this surname in Germany date back as far as the thirteenth century. In the year 1290, there were two men bearing this name: Rudolf, and Wernher genannt (called) die Biermenlin in the town of Esslingen. There is also a record of a Werner der Bierman, whose name appeared in a document in Wurttemburg in 1349.
Important Dates for the Behrman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Behrman research. More information is included under the topic Early Behrman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Behrman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bier, Bierman, Biermann, Behrman, Behrmann and others.
Early Notables of the Behrman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Behrman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Behrman migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Behrman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Behrman, who went to South Carolina in 1823
- Charles Behrman, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1823 
- Bernhard Behrman, age 24, who went to Baltimore in 1848
- Bernhard Behrman, aged 24, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1848 
- Sam Behrman, who arrived in Texas in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Behrman (post 1700)
- W. Stanley Behrman, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Louisiana, 1936 
- Martin Behrman (1864-1926), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Louisiana State Constitutional Convention, 1898, 1921; Louisiana State Auditor, 1904-05; Mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana, 1904-20, 1925-26 
- E. H. Behrman, American politician, Mayor of Kennewick, Washington, 1937-39 
- Carl Martin Behrman, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 16th District, 1926; Member of Illinois State Senate 18th District, 1933-37 
- David Behrman (b. 1937), German born, American, modern classical composer
- Samuel Nathaniel Behrman (1893-1973), American screenwriter and film director
- Joy Behrman (b. 1975), American Playboy model
- Martin Behrman (1864-1926), American Democratic politician, eponym of the SS Martin Behrman
- David Wesley Behrman (b. 1941), American football offensive lineman
- Keith Behrman (1963-2002), Canadian Genie Award, two-time Leo Award and Toronto International Film Festival Award winning writer, director and producer, known for Flower & Garnet (2002), Ernest (2002) and Thomas (1995)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html