on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Behr family come from? What is the German Behr family crest and coat of arms? When did the Behr family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Behr family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Behr, Bahr (northern Germany), Barr, Bar, Barre, Baer and many more.
First found in Lower Saxony, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name derives itself from the German word for bear ("der Baer").
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Behr research. Another 286 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1703, 1792, 1798, 1872, and 1876 are included under the topic Early Behr History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Behr Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Behr Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Behr landed in Philadelphia in 1727
- Jacob Behr came to Philadelphia in 1749
- Johann Jac Behr, who arrived in America in 1749
- Jacob Behr, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- P Henry Behr, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
Behr Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G Behr, who arrived in North America in 1832
- Daniel Behr, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1835
- Julie Behr arrived in Texas in 1846
- Julie Behr, who landed in Texas in 1846
- Frederich Behr, aged 26, arrived in Missouri in 1847
Behr Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Georg Behr, who landed in Canada in 1777
Behr Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Pauline Behr, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Mr. Karl Howell Behr, aged 26, American First Class passenger from New York City, New York who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 5
- Lawrence Behr, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1964
- Jason Behr (b. 1973), American actor
- William Joseph Behr (1775-1851), German writer
- Franz Behr (1837-1898), German composer
- Bernd Behr (b. 1976), German artist
- Mark Behr (1963-2015), Tanzanian-born South African author
- Noam Behr (b. 1975), Israeli tennis player
- Dani Behr (b. 1971), British television presenter and singer
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Behr Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Behr Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 09:20.
on orders of $85 or more