Behnke History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Behnke family
The surname Behnke was first found in Germany, where the name Behem became noted for its many branches with the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. Over time, the family became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility.
Important Dates for the Behnke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Behnke research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1436 and 1507 are included under the topic Early Behnke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Behnke Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Behnke include Behem, Behemm, Beheme, Behemme, Behemms, Behemes, Behen, Beham, Behamm, Behame, Behamme, Behamms, Behams, Behaim, Bahem, Baehem, Bahemm, Baehemm, Baheme, Baeheme, Bahemme, Baehemme, Bahemms, Baehemms, Bahemes, Baehemes, Bahen, Baehen, Baham, Baeham, Bahamm, Baehamm, Bahame, Baehame, Bahamme, Baehamme, Bahamms, Baehamms, Bahames and many more.
Early Notables of the Behnke family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Behnke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Behnke migration to the United States
An examination of many early immigration records reveals that people bearing the name Behnke arrived in North America very early:
Behnke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Christlieb Behnke, aged 40, who landed in America in 1843 
- Herman Behnke, who arrived in New York, NY in 1869 
- Franz Behnke, aged 4, who settled in America, in 1894
Behnke Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emllie Behnke, aged 23, who landed in America from Weichsethal, Germany, in 1906
- Alwine Behnke, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States from Lehe, Germany, in 1907
- Bertha Behnke, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Berlin, Germany, in 1910
- Ella Behnke, aged 20, who landed in America from Germany, in 1911
- Elsa Behnke, aged 25, who immigrated to America from Rostock, Germany, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Behnke (post 1700)
- Ronnie Behnke, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Washington, 2000 
- Robert E. Behnke, American Democrat politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly 14th District, 1973-82 
- Martin Behnke, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 1972 
- Mark A. Behnke, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives 62nd District, 1998, 2012; Mayor of Battle Creek, Michigan, 2008 
- Julius E. Behnke (1848-1932), American Republican politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 1st District, 1909-12 
- Allen F. Behnke (1916-1991), American Republican politician, Salesman; Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Glastonbury, 1939-42 
- Dr. Robert J. Behnke (1929-2013), American fisheries biologist and conservationist, popularly known as "Dr. Trout" and "The Trout Doctor"
- Robert E. Behnke (1932-1999), American politician, Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly (1973-1982)
- Seaman First Class Heinrich Behnke (1882-1952), American sailor awarded the Medal of Honor for bravery
- Elmer Behnke (b. 1929), retired American NBA basketball player who played from 1951 to 1952 for the Milwaukee Hawks
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Behnke family
- Helmut Behnke (b. 1915), German Matrose who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he survived the sinking 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details