Beckinsale History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German states are the glorious birthplace of the distinguished surname Beckinsale. In the medieval era, after the fall of the Roman Empire, the German lands were inhabited by a variety of Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. At this time, the surname Beckinsale emerged throughout the German territories.
Early Origins of the Beckinsale family
The surname Beckinsale was first found in Germany, where the name Beckin was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into several houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Important Dates for the Beckinsale family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beckinsale research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beckinsale History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beckinsale Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Beckinsale include Beckin, Bechin, Becken, Bechen, Beckhen, Beekhen, Bekhen, Becchen, Backen, Bachin, Baechin, Baecken, Bachen, Baechen, Backhen, Baeckhen, Bakhen, Baekhen, Bacchen and many more.
Early Notables of the Beckinsale family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Beckinsale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beckinsale migration to the United States
Early immigration records have shown some of the first Beckinsales to arrive on North American shores:
Beckinsale Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Thomas Beckinsale, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States from Reddich, England, in 1914
- Charles Beckinsale, aged 40, who landed in America from Chester, England, in 1918
Contemporary Notables of the name Beckinsale (post 1700)
- Kathryn Bailey "Kate" Beckinsale (b. 1973), English multiple award winning actress, best known for Underworld (2003), The Aviator (2004) and Underworld: Evolution (2006)
- Samantha Jane Beckinsale (b. 1966), English actress, best known for her role as Firefighter Kate Stevens in London's Burning, daughter of Richard Beckinsale
- Richard Arthur Beckinsale (1947-1979), English actor, best known for his roles as Lennie Godber in the BBC sitcom Porridge, father of Samantha Beckinsale and Kate Beckinsale
- Mary Beckinsale, English art historian, president of Studio Art Centers International (SACI)