Bebel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Bebel is derived from the nickname "boebel", an Old German word meaning small. The original bearer of the name was someone who was noted for their diminutive size. A broad and miscellaneous class of surnames, nickname surnames refer to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character.
Early Origins of the Bebel family
The surname Bebel was first found in the duchy of Wuerttemberg, where the family came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The name originates from "Boebel," a word which referred to something small. Chronicles first mention Wernhard dictus Bebele, who was born in Frankfurt around 1307. Ancient chronicles also mention Hans der Bebler (c.1376) of Waldshut, Hans Baebler (c.1358) of Aargau, and Hans Boebel (c.1480) of Wuerttemberg.
Early History of the Bebel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bebel research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1793, 1856, 1472, 1518, 1501, 1690, 1723, 1804, 1913 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Bebel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bebel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bebel, Bebele, Bebler, Bebbel, Bebell, Bebels, Boebel, Boebbel, Boebell, Baebel, Baebler, Baebele, Baebell, Babel, Babell, Babler, Babels, Bobe, Bobel, Bobell, Boebe, Bebe, Baebe and many more.
Early Notables of the Bebel family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Bebel during this period were Heinrich Bebel (1472-1518), who was a well known professor at Tuebingen and humanist of the time. He was crowned poet (gekroenter Dichter) by Maximilian I in 1501. William...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bebel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bebel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bebel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Bebel, who settled in Philadelphia in 1749
- Philipp Bebel, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1749 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bebel (post 1700) +
- Ferdinand August Bebel (1840-1913), German Marxist politician, writer, and orator
- Bronisaw Bebel (b. 1949), Polish former volleyball player who competed in the 1972 Summer Olympics
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)