100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Beals family come from? What is the English Beals family crest and coat of arms? When did the Beals family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Beals family history?The Beals surname is thought to have been created from one of the places so named (in Northumberland, and in West Yorkshire). The place name derives from the Old English "beo," meaning "bee" and "hyll," meaning "hill." There is also a Norman name Beals derived from the Old French "bel."
The name Beals, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Beal, Beale, Beall, Bealle, Beel, Beele, Beales, Bealer and many more.
First found in Northumberland. Today Beeley is a village and civil parish in the Derbyshire Dales district of northern Derbyshire, near Bakewell. In the Domesday Book, the place name was listed as Begelie 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beals research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1651, 1608, 1683, 1621, 1684, 1660, 1664, 1665, 1632, 1699 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Beals History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 169 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beals Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Beals family, or who bore a variation of the surname Beals were
Beals Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Beals, who landed in Hingham, Massachusetts in 1638
Beals Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Beals, who landed in New York in 1822
- H H Beals, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1849
- H C Beals, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- S H Beals, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Beals, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1892
Beals Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Eugene Beals, who settled in America, in 1906
- Edward M. Beals, who landed in America, in 1907
- Helen Beals, who landed in America, in 1907
- Clyde Olden Beals, aged 11, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Darwin Beals, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1909
- Walter Burges Beals (1876-1960), American judge who served on the Washington Supreme Court 1928-1946 and 1947-1951
- Richard William Beals (b. 1938), American mathematician
- Melba Pattillo Beals (b. 1941), born Melba Joy Pattillo, an American journalist, member of the Little Rock Nine, a group of African-American students who were the first to integrate Central High in Little Rock, Arkansas
- Jennifer Beals (b. 1963), American Golden Globe Award nominated film actress, best known for starring role in Flashdance (1983)
- Richard "Dick" Beals (1927-2012), American voice actor, best known as the voice of "Speedy Alka-Seltzer", featured in television commercials for more than 50 years
- Alyn Richard Beals (1921-1993), American football end/defensive end for the San Francisco 49ers (1946-1951)
- Gary Beals (b. 1982), Canadian singer in the first season of the reality television series Canadian Idol
- Carlyle Smith Beals (1899-1979), Canadian astronomer, recipient of the Officer of the Order of Canada, eponym of the lunar crater Beals
- The Quaker Yeomen by James E. Ballarts.
- Memoranda of the Early Settlement of Friends in the North-West Territory, and Especially of Thomas Beals by Gershom Perdue.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Beals Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Beals Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 July 2015 at 12:52.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!