Baumgart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Baumgart surname means orchard in German, and was probably originally occupational for someone who worked in an orchard, or topographical for someone who lived in or near an orchard. There are also several villages named for this word.
Early Origins of the Baumgart family
The surname Baumgart was first found in East Prussia, where the name came from noble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status. They are believed to have been of the order of the Teutonic Knights.
Early History of the Baumgart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baumgart research. Another 125 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1712 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Baumgart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Baumgart Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Baumgarner, Baumgarten, Baumgart, Paumgarten, Baumgartel, Paumgartel, Paumgart, Bomgarten, Baumgarden, Pomgarten, Pomgarden, Baumgartner, Paumgartner, Baumgarden, Bamgardner, Bogart, Bogaard, Bogaart and many more.
Early Notables of the Baumgart family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Baumgart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Baumgart migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Baumgart Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Baumgart, who settled in South Carolina in 1748
- Anna Baumgart, who arrived in South Carolina in 1748 
Baumgart Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Baumgart, who landed in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1851 
- Bertha Baumgart, aged 2, who arrived in New York, NY in 1867 
Contemporary Notables of the name Baumgart (post 1700) +
- Lloyd Raymond Baumgart (1908-1985), American politician from Green Bay, Wisconsin, Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
- James Baumgart, American politician, former member of the Wisconsin State Assembly and the Wisconsin State Senate
- Klaus Baumgart (b. 1975), American professional football player
- Bernd Baumgart (b. 1955), German gold medalist rower for East Germany in the 1976 Summer Olympics
- Steffen Baumgart (b. 1972), former German football player turned manager
- Emilio Heinrich Baumgart (1889-1943), Brazilian engineer, co-founder of Odebrecht + Baumgart
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)