From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Venice
emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Battani which was derived from the Italian word "Battaglia," or "battle." This surname was a nickname
for a warrior or professional private soldier, which then became a surname. There are also places named Battalgia, and no doubt the surname also arose describing one who came from one of these places. There are villages named Battaglia in Udine, Padova, Teramo, Trapani, and Salerno amongst other regions.
Early Origins of the Battani family
The surname Battani was first found in the northern half of Italy with major families of the name being recorded in Venice
and the Veneto region, Bologna, Rimini, and Pisa from the 13th century.
Early History of the Battani family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Battani research.Another 49 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1748, 1532, 1643, 1717, 1772 and 1870 are included under the topic Early Battani History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Battani Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Battaggia, Battàia, Bataia, Battàggia, Battàglia, Battagliarin, Battagliarini, Battagliese, Battaglini, Battaglioli, Battaini, Battaino and many more.
Early Notables of the Battani family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Girolamo Battaglia, a distinguished soldier in the military in the second half of the 15th century; Francesco Battaglia, an architect born... Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Battani Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Battani family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Battani Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adolfo Battani, aged 16, who landed in America from Frassinovo, Italy, in 1909
- Sigifredo Battani, aged 16, who landed in America from Frassinovo, Modena, in 1909
- Annunziata Battani, aged 46, who emigrated to the United States from Frassinoro, Italy, in 1910
- Dina Battani, aged 17, who settled in America from Frassinoro, Italy, in 1910
- G. B. Battani, aged 38, who landed in America from Valciano, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Battani (post 1700)
- Marianne O. Battani (b. 1944), United States federal judge from Detroit, Michigan